Thursday, September 25, 2008

HIV: Removing the Stigma

Hey again!

Ok, firstly, Lily about your comment. Are you serious that there is no age restriction?!?! So, basically our school is promoting heterosexuality paedophilia!!

Anyway, onto the next topic. HIV. Lots of people avoid this subject like the plague, but I think that the active collective are an accepting group, so I'm going to break the bonds of society and share my views. Even though the ratio of citizens with HIV in New Zealand than is lower than in other countries, but the taboo-ness (that's a new work, ok?) surrounding the disease is still present in our society.

One of my best friends' mum has HIV, and it's never been a secret. I knew since I meet her, and it doesn't bother me because she's an amazing woman, and an illness does not define who a person is. But I don't feel like everyone shares this same view. Often she'll stay at our house, and have meals with us, and so what? She's just another human being, but the other day my sister's friend found this out and totally freaked. She wanted to know if my friend's mum had brought her own cups with her (!), or if we'd sterilized the cutlery she used once she's left. Wtf?!?! Yes, we washed the cup, but we wash EVERY cup ANYONE uses. Seriously!! This is just ridiculous. People with HIV are denied housing and jobs, based purely on the fact they have an illness, and this has to stop.

My favourite movie...and musical...and cd at the moment, is 'Rent', and for anyone who does not know what I'm talking about here's a quick run down. It's the story of a group of 19-25 y.o living in Tent City in NYC, at the end of the millenium (that's a lyric from one of the songs, hence the italics), and the majority of them have either HIV or Aids. It follows their journies of hardship and discrimination, and is amazing! For those of you who know me, you'll know that I am sooooo obsessed with 'Rent' right now, but I do seriously suggest that everyone should watch it at some point of their lives! It deals with relevant issues in a sometimes enjoyable, sometimes saddening way, but acts as a bridge between the real world, and the fictional world.

Anyway, my point is, that all over the world, people with HIV are treated with caution and this is not right. I have numerous medical conditions, but they do not change who I am as a person, or sum up my personality. I personally don't like it when people treat me differently just because my health isn't brilliant, and if I were ever to have a power position in New Zealand/the world (This would never happen as politics are, in a word, boring! Lily, don't hate me!!), I'd want to make a huge effort nationwide to change the way in which those suffering from HIV were treated, and to promote the acceptance of people no matter what their situation or health status. I hope that there are others who feel the same as me, and if not, society has really failed me.

For now, have a day. xox Ailsa xox

Oh, dftba! for all those nerd fighters out there!

3 comments:

HeadSurgeon said...

fanmasically article- a person becomes unconsciously...or in some cases >.> consciously more aware and acute of that person and view them differently than others. Ok, its good that you're trying to protect yourself, but never ever forget the person is not the blood- UNLIKE my sister. She told me she will not donate money to world vision or oxfam- those organizations which strive to raise people out of poverty and strife ect. she says its "their fault", they "know they're so poor, why do they just keep having so much children? It's their own fault". YEH, so its a crime to love someone now and be undereducated and resourced- and besides thats not the only way you get aids! Ah especially with aids, mhm, everyone in the third world should just be celebate. HIV is a evil little virus not who or what you are, no one shouldbe judged so unrightly so!

Romana said...

Thank you so much for this Ailsa! HIV is a disease that, though previously devastating, can now be easily controlled, and have no bearing on an individuals worth as a member of the human race. The stigma has no basis (you can even have HIV-negative children) and is one easily overlooked in NZ.

Ellen said...

Question: an HIV immunisation is released. Would you take it?