Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hello all.

So, the blog has set off like the big bang. We have posted blogs on just about everything to the economy crisis to HIV to cancer causing food additives.

Now its time to think a little closer to home. Can we agree in a chorus of "YES!" Right, much appriciated.

To commence- I don't take art, not even photography (NO WAY!) but this blog is going to be about art and the right to personal expression. I will not outline the coterversial topic: graffiti.
When I say graffiti you may think about those ugly markings which are inconviently backed by a suburban garage, teen gangs and the word "vandalism". When some idiot with a spray can attacks our propety its yeah...annoying and costly. So graffiti has a really bad reputation here in New Zealand. At the other extreme (yum my mum just gave me an ice cream) we have those huge works by (space for drum roll/ the silence of antisepation) BANKSY. His works selling for millions. These two things contrast each other greatly but where is the line?

Where does vandalism become artwork?

This raises more questions in my head such as when do we know if it's art if its out of a gallery. Thats an easy answer. When an image expresses ideas or emotions. But heres the tricky part: graffiti is ILLEGAL. There are now strict bans on spray cans (you have to be eighteen to buy spray cans). My point is: should people be allowed to express themselves thorough grafftti?

Me and my dude...guy (ugh I not a fan of the word boyfriend) have come to release an entire underground network of graffiti artists making a name for themselves on our streets.

For furthur investagation look for "graffiti alley" just off left bank where the likes of satay kingdom are located. The alley way is finishes opposite emo park on ghuznee street.

Also an interesting website: http://streetarse.co.nz/archives/category/uncategorized

Goodo. For first hand information you can email my dude-guy at: Andrew91@windowslive.com. He has choosen to do a photography portfolio on graffiti and he is pretty much an expert (he is not a tagger though). Also send him jokes, funny stories or just say hi. He doesn't know I'm doing this but I'm sure that he will be ok with it...

see ya-bye.
Ellen

P.S. Nurul I did my blog in green for you and also to fit in with the subject matter.
P.S.S I may not take art but I do take ART HISTORY!

9 comments:

Kermit_2.0 said...

hmmmm interesting....

i personally like some tagging but on peoples personal property its valalism

Maddy said...

I'm afraid I'm going to sound like a uptight suburbian but I don't like graffiti. Sure it can be art and beautiful art at that but putting paint on any wall you feel like is wrong.

It's probably irrational to think this (as street art is part art part social rebellion) but I think it should be maintained to certain areas or commissioned as a mural.

I mean, you see it everywhere you go destroying the beauty of things. Even when it's been painted over it destroys the integrity of a wall. In my opinion a perfectly clean wall somewhere would be absolutely beautiful.

I really liked you blog by the way Ellen :)

Maddy said...

Oh and I don't believe making up a fancy signature and throwing it out again and again proves any rebellion, coolness or 1337 skillz

N Y Sultan said...

yay go ellen!! :D colours are awesome

Ellen said...

I think we can all agree that graffiti on someones garage is about as intellegent as a dog pissing on its territory. nuf said.

Actually..it breaks my heart to see a our beautiful city destroyed by vandalism, not just graffiti but littering and mindless destruction. Your mural comment is spot on maddy because contained in some street art is proof of this cities art and culture.

Lily said...

Wow, who would guess this would be the topic that generated the some of the most discussion so far? Excellent post btw Ellen :D

For my two cents... I actually really appreciate street art and graffiti, just provided it's done well, which is quite rare. However, if it's just a lame write signature or something like that, it looks plain ugly and therefore sucks.

HeadSurgeon said...

err...hum...i actually like graffiti and vandalism. Yes, i know! How awful of me!though I don't like it on my letterbox (done before) or our car (someone used gap sealer on the thingy for car keys to go on)- i like public spaces vandalism. I like the run-down, decadent feeling it gives me. I like old buildings as much as i love rubbish bins dragged 100 metres from their home and tossed into gutters. This is purely selfish. Anyways, C4 did this kinda thing before, and they interviewed people- people defined the difference of street art and graffiti/vandalism as street art "looks good."
p.s. don't you think those spraypaint images across town are so awesome?!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, totally random and kind of off topic, but an awesome conequence of graffiti happened in Philadelphia. Its awesome. WE should have more murals in Wellington. They, like, create racial unity and stuff. seriously.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/07/us/07mural.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=mural&st=cse&oref=slogin

(Its romana, by the way)

Elvis Fucking Christ said...

I don't mind it if it's on something that people can afford to paint over etc. I would have few issues on people graffittiing (jesus) one of McCain's mansions, or the wall of the Maxim institute or whatever. But on regular people's cars etc is just stupid and mean.